Take action for Maui’s beautiful coral reefs and beaches
We all want clean ocean water at our favorite Maui beaches
That’s why Maui Nui Marine Resource Council is proud of our Hui O Ka Wai Ola ocean water quality monitoring program. This volunteer-based program tests water quality at 39 beach and shoreline locations on Maui every three weeks, monitoring for temperature, pH, salinity, silicate, dissolved oxygen, turbidity, suspended sediment, nitrate, nitrite, ammonium, total nitrogen and phosphorus, particulate nitrogen and phosphorus. These metrics measure most of the physical and chemical stressors associated with reef decline.
The data we collect is provided to the Hawaii Department of Health and shared publicly online at HuiOKaWaiOla.com. With data, we can tackle the causes of water pollution by working with upslope landowners and the County.
While our program is volunteer-based, each site requires an expenditure of $4,000 to cover testing materials and shipping of water samples to a testing lab.
Please support this work by adopting one of our ocean water quality testing sites — at a beach that you love, at a beach that’s important to your business or community, or a beach that’s cherished by your family.
We need your support to continue this program beyond December 31, 2018. Here’s how you can help:
- Pick your favorite beach from the list below.
- Choose the donation level that’s right for you to support water quality testing at your beach.
- Invite others to donate! We welcome donations from individuals, families, civic groups, homeowner associations and businesses.
- Use social media to encourage your friends and family to donate. Create a fundraiser on Facebook to raise money for water quality testing at the beach you selected.
- Donations of $1,000 or more will be invited to include your logo or name on our Sponsors page and displayed at our Monthly Meetings.
Adopt your favorite Maui beach:
See the complete list below.
Maluaka Beach in Makena
Ulua Beach in Wailea
Honolua Bay in West Maui
Adopt a Beach
We welcome all donations. Adopt a Beach today to receive these special sponsor benefits:
Certificate with your name
Or the name of your organization or group and the name of your adopted beach. Frame it and display it proudly!
Personalized thank you letter
If this is in honor of someone special or a gift, we will include your gift message.
Donations of $1,000 or more will receive this special acknowlegement:
Your logo included in our annual report