Take action for Maui’s beautiful coral reefs and beaches
We all want clean ocean water at our favorite Maui beaches.
That’s why Maui Nui Marine Resource Council is proud of our Hui O Ka Wai Ola ocean water quality monitoring program. This volunteer-based program tests water quality at 39 beach and shoreline locations on Maui every three weeks, monitoring for sediment, pollutants like nitrogen and phosphorous, changes in ocean temperatures and more.
The data we collect is provided to the Hawaii Department of Health and shared publicly online at HuiOKaWaiOla.com. With data, we can tackle the causes of water pollution by working with upslope landowners, construction sites and local government.
While our program is volunteer-based, each site requires an expenditure of $4,000 to cover testing materials and shipping of water samples to a testing lab.
Please support this work by adopting one of our ocean water quality testing sites — at a beach that you love, at a beach that’s important to your business or community, or a beach that’s cherished by your family.
We need your support to continue this program beyond January 1, 2019. Here’s how you can help:
- Pick your favorite beach from the list below.
- Choose the donation level that’s right for you to support water quality testing at your beach.
- Invite others to donate! We welcome donations from individuals, families, civic groups, homeowner associations and businesses.
- Use social media to encourage your friends and family to donate. Create a fundraiser on Facebook to raise money for water quality testing at the beach you selected.
- Donations of $1,000 or more will be invited to include your logo or name on our Sponsors page and will have your logo or name included in our Reef in Brief newsletter and displayed at our Monthly Meetings.
We welcome all donations. Adopt a Beach today to receive these special sponsor benefits:
Certificate with your name
Or the name of your organization or group and the name of your adopted beach. Frame it and display it proudly!
Personalized thank you letter
If this is in honor of someone special or a gift, we will include your gift message.
Donations of $1,000 or more will receive this special acknowlegement:
Your logo included in our annual report
Your logo displayed on our monthly
“Reef in Brief” e-newsletter
Your logo listed on the Sponsors page of our website
Adopt your favorite Maui beach:
See the complete list below.
Maluaka Beach in Makena
Ulua Beach in Wailea
Kanahena Cove at ʻAhihi Bay in Makena
Kihei Canoe Club
Mai Poina ‘Oe Ia’u
Kihei South (Lipoa)
Poolenalena (Chang’s Beach)
South Maluaka Beach
Oneuli (black sand beach)
Ahihi Kinau North
Ahihi Kinau South
- Camp Olowalu
Peter Martin Hale
Olowalu Shore Front
505 Front Street
Kapalua Bay (Fleming S)